Android Marshmallow is the latest Android version but not many devices are running on it currently. Many manufacturers are trying to push the Marshmallow updates to their latest devices and most probably the older devices won’t taste the official Marshmallow anytime soon. However, Sony has been a little bit better in terms of Marshmallow updates as they’ve already pushed updates to many flagship models and now it’s time for the Xperia Z2, Z3, and Z3 compact to run on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow.
The Marshmallow update is currently rolling out for the Xperia Z2 (D6503 only), Xperia Z3 (D6603 only) and Xperia Z3 Compact (D5803 only) models. This should cover the unlocked phones in US, Latin America, Middle East, Africa, Russia and Ukraine. The latest firmware comes with the build number 23.5.A.0.570, which is same as the recent beta release. The firmware also includes the latest Sony Camera 2.0 app and the February security patches.
The OTA update might hit the devices soon but if you’re curious to get the Android Marshmallow now, you can download the FTF firmware files and install them on your device. So, let’s see how to install the official Marshmallow firmware on Xperia Z2, Z3, and Z3 compact.
- Xperia Z3 (D6603) 23.5.A.0.570 Ukraine Generic (Android 6.0.1)
- Xperia Z3 Compact (D5803) 23.5.A.0.570 Latin America Generic (Android 6.0.1)
- Xperia Z2 (D6503) 23.5.A.0.570 Philippines Generic (Android 6.0.1)
- Charge your Xperia device above 60% battery level to avoid shutdowns during the process.
- Enable USB Debugging: Link
- Install proper drivers for your Xperia on your PC. You can download the Sony drivers from here.
- Backup your device storage, Contacts, SMS etc. using Google Sync service or any third-party app.
Flash Marshmallow Firmware on Xperia Z2, Z3, and Z3 Compact
- Download the Sony FTF flash tool and install it on your PC → Click Here
- Make sure that you’ve installed the Sony USB drivers as well as the Flash tool drivers (Flash Mode drivers and fastboot drivers) before proceeding further.
- Download the required firmware file from above links and paste the FTF file in the C:/Flashtool/firmwares directory.
- Now open the Flash Tool and select the FTF package you want to install on your Xperia device.
- You should see the screen similar to this before flashing (You’ll see the device name and firmware version according to your device):
- Make sure you’ve selected all the 3 options in the Wipe menu of the Flash tool and skip No final verification at the bottom.
- Click on the Flash button at the lower right corner of the tool.
- You’ll get a prompt asking you to go to Flashmode or Fastboot mode, choose Flashmode.
- Again, click on the Flash button to flash the FTF file on your device.
- The tool asks you to connect the device in the flash mode. To boot
to the flash mode, connect your powered off device to the PC while
holding volume down button.
- Once the device is detected, the firmware will be flashed. Wait for the process to complete and then reboot.