Google recently added a new feature to its Gmail app for Android. The new feature, simply called Gmailify, transforms your non-Gmail accounts to look like Gmail. Basically, if you have grown to like Gmail’s features and user interface, Google wants to help.
Gmailify brings Gmail’s best features to non-Gmail services like Outlook, Yahoo and others. With this new feature, you can gain access to Gmail’s superior spam filtering, faster search and Google Now cards.
- Gmail’s spam protection
- Automatically sorting email based on type (Social, Updates, Promotions)
- Faster search, with advanced search operators
- Travel and hotel reservations appearing automatically in Google Now
- All your mail in one place.
- Better mail notifications on mobile
Gmailify non-Gmail accountsTo be able to use these above features with your non-Gmail account, you will have to Gmailify it. The process is very simple, so you can get started with it in a jiffy.
Aside from the buzzword Gmailify, this feature is simply linking your existing Email account with your Gmail account. Google will help you with the process though, so the transition is smoother. Over time, Google hopes that it can win you over with Gmail’s feature-set compared to your existing email provider of choice. Of course, if you decide that Gmail is not suited to your needs, you can unlink your accounts and go back to the original email service.
To be able to do this, you will first have to add your non-Gmail address using the Gmail app. Tap on the Hamburger menu, then tap on your profile picture. You will find an option to Add account.
Once you’ve added the new email account to your phone or tablet, do the following.
- Open the Gmail app on your Android smartphone or tablet.
- Tap on the Hamburger menu on the top left of the app.
- Scroll down to find Settings and then tap on it.
- Tap on the email account you want to Gmailify.
- Scroll down and click on Link Account.
Until then, you can watch this video below to get a gist of Gmailify