Sony’s concept for Android was released for trial to 500 selected Xperia Z3 owners in Sweden. But recently XDA member Jozinek was able to share the firmware with rest of the world. If you own Xperia Z3 you could install the AOSP based Sony’s ROM on your device following this guide.
Sony’s Android Concept is a AOSP based ROM with some Xperia goodies included. The ROM is based on Android Lollipop 5.1.1. Along with the vanilla Android you get the same Xperia camera, Album and Music applications that you get on stock Xperia ROMs. But you miss on the features like Stamina mode, Screen recording and Xperia themes. You also miss on root, since no one has able to root their device with this ROM installed, as of now.
The ROM is stable to use, it felt smooth and fast to use according to the Xda member who shared this ROM. Although the Xperia UI is not bad, but those of you who prefer the stock Android feel, this ROM is for them. The Android Concept program by Sony is in beta stage, so expect better performance and more features in the future builds.
Follow the steps below to install this AOSP based ROM by Sony on your Xperia Z3.
WARNING: Backup everything off your device before proceeding with installation since you will lose all your data on Installing this ROM.
- Backup everything on your device including Internal storage.
- Download latest Flashtool and install it on your PC.
- Download Sony’s Android™ Concept ROM for XPERIA Z3 (Google Drive or Mega).
- Paste the ‘ftf’ file downloaded to folder “Firmware” included in the XPERIA Flashtool.
- Open the XPERIA Flashtool, click on flash and choose downloaded firmware, then click ok.
- Turn off your phone and when Flashtool shows pop up window, connect your phone to PC with holding the volume down button.
- After installation completes, Reboot ans enjoy Sony’s Android™ Concept ROM on your Xperia Z3.