Samsung launched the Galaxy Grand series years ago to especially for the emerging markets where people prefer smartphones with a big screen, decent hardware specs but at an affordable price. Many years have gone by and the Grand line is still here with more choices to attract more customers. The Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime is a mid-range phone that was released back in September 2014 with Android 4.4.4 KitKat out of the box.
The phone did not witness any major OS upgrade since it’s release, but Samsung seems to have kept its promise of upgrading the phone’s software to Android Lollipop. If you own the Galaxy Grand Prime with model number SM-G530H and have been waiting for the sweetest take on Android, that is Lollipop, you finally have a reason to rejoice.
The Android 5.0.2 Lollipop update for the Grand Prime (SM-G530H) is finally out and available for download. We probably don’t need to tell you that Lollipop is a very big update that bring a completely new user interface with a lot of tweaks and changes. Having updated your Grand Prime to the latest software, you would enjoy faster performance and better battery life.
DisclaimerThe firmware installation procedure described below has been tested successfully, but it does not necessarily mean that it’s 100% safe. Make sure to follow the given steps carefully and don’t hesitate to clear any doubts before proceeding. Just a reminder, we won’t be responsible for any mishap so jump into things at your own liability.
- Download Odin 3.09 or 3.10.6 from here and extract the zip.
- Download and install the latest Samsung USB Drivers or Kies on your computer.
- Enable USB Debugging on your Grand Prime. You can find a detailed tutorial for the same here.
- Charge your device to ensure 60% battery juice at least.
- Since you might need to perform a data factory reset after installing the Lollipop firmware for better performance, it’s a good idea to backup all important data before attempting the installation.
Download Lollipop Firmware for Grand Prime SM-G530HThe firmware provided below is originally meant for Russian users but because it’s unbranded and contains many languages including English, it can be installed on any Galaxy Grand Prime SM-G530H that is not locked to a network operator. More firmwares will be added as they come!
Russia: G530HXXU2BOH5_G530HSER2BOH5_SER.zip | Mirror Link
India: G530HXXU2BOH7_G530HODD2BOH3_INS.zip | Mirror Link
Install Lollipop Firmware on Grand Prime
- Download the firmware and extract the Zip to get the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension.
- Turn off your Galaxy Grand Prime and boot it into the Download Mode by pressing the Volume Down+Home+Power buttons simultaneously for 2-3 seconds. When you see the warning screen with yellow exclamation mark, press the Volume Up key to enter the Download Mode.
- Now launch the Odin tool as administrator and then connect your phone to the PC using the USB cable provided with your device.
- When Odin detects your phone, the ID:COM port on Odin will turn blue and you will see “Added!” text in the Odin’s message box.
- Now click the AP button and add the firmware file (G530HXXU2BOH5_G530HSER2BOH5_SER.tar.md5) to it.
- Click the Options tab on Odin and check Auto-Reboot and F. Reset Time. These options and enabled in Odin by default, so all you need to do it is to make sure that they are checked.
- You are now all set to go. Just click the Start button on Odin to trigger the firmware installation. It might take a few minutes before the installation completes, so wait patiently.
- When the firmware installation completes, you’ll see PASS! message on Odin. It’s the green signal that indicates successful installation. In case you get Fail! message, make sure you have gone through the preparations carefully. You can also try rebooting your PC and phone and a different USB cable and port. You can also refer to our exhaustive guide on firmware installation using Odin.
- Anyway, your Galaxy Grand Prime will reboot automatically and when it boots up, you’ll be greeted by Android 5.0.2 Lollipop.