HTC One A9 and the M8 devices received official Android 6.0 Marshmallow firmware from the manufacturer last month. HTC releases firmware updates in the form of large RUU files. The files weigh nearly 2 GB. However, the installation is pretty simple as compared to other devices from various manufacturers. Here, we have listed the latest RUU file for the HTC One M9 device and is a maintenance release from HTC that also incorporates the latest Marshmallow firmware.
This software upgrade comes in the form of two sequential updates. The first update will install software version 2.11.617.180, which does not include the Android OS upgrades. The following update will install software version 3.35.617.12, which includes the changes to the Android OS.
Before you proceed, please confirm that this software upgrade to 3.35.617.12 is a newer version than what is currently loaded on your device. If it is the same version, there is no need to reload the software. Navigate to the Home screen, then tap All apps > Settings > About and locate the Software information. If your Software number is less than 3.35.617.12, you should proceed with the upgrade.
Take a look at the official HTC portal to know more about the update, changelog, and installation instructions.
Warning: During the upgrade process the device will reboot multiple times and show software upgrade screens. Do not remove the AC charger or long-press the Power button as this might stop the update and your device may be rendered inoperable! We, at DroidViews, won’t be liable for any damage to your device whatsoever. We won’t be held responsible if you brick your device. Reader’s discretion is advised.
- Latest RUU File for HTC One M9 — Download | RUU version 3.35.617.12 [2.14 GB]
- Latest RUU.zip file — Download | Will be updated here once available
This process wipes all of your data. Hence, a backup is highly recommended. Make sure you backup your system, data, etc. on your PC. It will be helpful in case anything goes wrong.
- This guide is compatible with various HTC One M9 device.
- Do this if you use Method 2 or 3. Set up ADB and Fastboot on your computer. You can download the full Android SDK from here, or get the quick ADB and Fastboot installer from here. For Mac or Linux OS, click here. You may also like HTC Fastboot tool for the HTC devices.
- Install HTC USB Drivers on your computer.
- Open Settings> Developer options and enable USB Debugging on your device.
- Go to Developer options and enable Allow OEM unlock, if such an option is available.
Method 1: Restore HTC One M9 to Official Marshmallow Firmware with RUU.EXE FileIf you have the RUU.EXE file, then the above methods won’t work for you and the flash process will be comparatively easy. The zip files have been extracted from the RUU.zip files. To go through this process successfully, make sure you have the latest HTC drivers or the HTC Sync installed. Connect your phone to your computer and launch the RUU.EXE file. Follow instruction from the RUU program.
Listed below are the alternative methods to install the RUU files. However, you will need the RUU.zip file for that purpose. Once the zip file is available, go through the two methods below and it should update your device in no time.
Method 2: Restore HTC One M9 to Official Marshmallow Firmware with Fastboot
- Download the RUU zip file. You don’t need to extract the file. just transfer the file to your PC where you can easily locate it.
- Make sure you have setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC. Also, accept Always allow from this computer when you plug in the device for the first time to enable USB Debugging.
- Now power off your device and unplug it from your PC.
- Boot into the Bootloader or Fastboot mode. To do so, turn off your device and then press and hold volume down + the power button simultaneously for a few seconds. When you see the bootloader screen, connect your device to the PC using a USB cable.(Choose Fastboot if option is available) For an alternative method look at the end of method 1.
- Navigate to the location where you have placed the RUU file. Rename the recovery file to a simple one, like htc_am9_ruu.img. While the folder with htc_m9_ruu.img file is open, hold the shift key on the keyboard and right-click on an empty space and select “Open command window here” option to launch a cmd window.
- Now issue the following command in the command prompt to check your device connectivity
- Now flash the RUU. Issue the following command for that.
htc_fastboot flash zip <file name>.zip
- Now the firmware will start installing.
How to boot into bootloader or Fastboot mode using ADB
You can also issue the following command through your cmd or terminal, while connected to the PC, in order to boot into the bootloader. First setup ADB and the Fastboot environment from requirements and then follow instructions till step 5. Once into the command prompt or terminal, issue the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
Method 3: HTC One M9 to Official Marshmallow Firmware with RUU.ZIP FileHere is an alternative method for installing the RUU.zip file.
- First, rename the RUU zip file to “2PQ9IMG.zip”, save it at the root of your external SDcard.
- Reboot the phone in bootloader mode. Refer to the method one in order to boot into bootloader.
- Now it will start scanning the SDcard and detect the 2PQ9IMG.zip file.
- When asked, “Do you want to start update?”.
- Use your volume Up/Down key to start or cancel the flash.
- Wait for the process to complete and don’t turn off your phone during the flash.
For queries, comment down below. Like and share us on social platforms. If you need help with other devices, let us know.