Unofficially though, but LG Optimus G has a good software support. With the latest Android 6.0 software been released by Google, developers and device maintainers have been developing new ROMS based on Marshmallow. With Android Open Source Code now made available to the developers, the latest software has been ported to many devices including a range of Nexus devices. Thanks to the recognized developer kevinjoa and other developers, you can now update your Optimus G with the Marshmallow firmware.
Here is an AOSP based Android 6.0 Marshmallow ROM for the LG Optimus G E975 codename geehrc. This is the first Marshmallow ROM for the device and more are expected with time. Although it’s an initial release, the ROM seems to be stable and many features like WiFi, Bluetooth and more have been confirmed as working. Moreover, Google camera has been incorporated into the ROM that works flawlessly. More stable releases are to be expected and for that, you can check the developer repository from the download link listed below.
As it is a custom ROM, you need to flash it through TWRP only and others won’t work just yet. Moreover, the ROM has been tested running on the E970 variant as well with an exception of SDCard not showing up. Once done, you can enjoy your new ROM. Be sure to backup everything before you begin.
DownloadsDownload | Android 6.0 Marshmallow ROM for LG Optimus G E975 (File: aosp_geehrc.zip)
Download | Google Apps (Tested working on some devices)
- Make sure you have the perfect device for this. The ROM is compatible with LG Optimus G E975 codename geehrc and as confirmed by one of the users, it works perfectly on the E970 variant.
- You need a Custom Recovery like TWRP installed on your device in order to flash a custom ROM. Get the FreeGee app from Play Store to install TWRP on stock 4.4.2 firmware. If you need help to root your device, check out method 3 on this page.
- You must have device drivers installed on your PC, so that you can transfer the ROM file to your device’s storage.
- You must fully charge your device or at least to 60%, as the process may take a while.
Backup your Apps and Data
Before you proceed, make sure you backup all your data. This process will wipe all the data from your device except for the internal storage. Hence, a full backup or nandroid backup is recommended. Also backup all your internal storage files just in case anything goes wrong. Take a nandroid backup from the custom recovery before flashing the ROM.
How to Install Android 6.0 Marshmallow on LG Optimus G E975
- Download the custom ROM and compatible Google Apps of your choice.
- Now transfer the two zip files into your device’s internal storage. Place the zip file where you can easily locate it.
- Now reboot into Custom Recovery (like TWRP). To boot into TWRP, first turn off your device and then press and hold volume down and power keys at the same time.
- It is highly recommended that you perform a nandroid backup. To backup your ROM, tap on backup option in TWRP and select the following elements: System, Data, Boot, Recovery, EFS and swipe right where appropriate, to backup.
- After performing the ROM backup, return to the TWRP main menu and tap the wipe button and select Advanced Wipe. Then select Dalvik Cache, System, Data, and Cache. Now swipe the confirmation button to wipe.
- Now Unmount the System. To do this, go back to TWRP home screen and tap on Mount option. Deselect the System checkbox.
- Now go back to the TWRP main menu or home screen again and tap on the install option. Navigate to the ROM file and select it.
- Swipe the confirmation button to proceed with installation. The ROM will be installed.
- Now again return to home in the TWRP and tap on the install option. Navigate to the Google apps zip file and select it.
- Swipe the confirmation button to proceed with installation.
- Once installed, reboot to system.