Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge users can now taste the latest iteration of Android on their devices following this guide. Samsung has started a public Beta program to test its Android Marshmallow builds for Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge. If you have a Galaxy S6 or a Galaxy S6 Edge you can Sign-up for the Beta program and you will receive the update to Marshmallow build.
The program has started for the devices bought from the United Kingdom and that have model number SM-G920F/SM-G925F only. Though the program has started in UK only users from other areas can also Sign-Up for the Beta program, but they will have to flash UK specific firmware as described below.
Things You Will Need
- Galaxy S6 (SM-G920F) or Galaxy S6 Edge (SM-G925F)
- Odin v3.10.7 (Only if you are using non-UK/ non-BTU device)
- Galaxy S6 (G920F) BTU UK firmware | Google Drive Link
- Galaxy S6 Edge (G925F) BTU UK firmware | Google Drive Link
Steps to Follow
- First, make sure your phone’s model number is SM-G920F or SM-G925F. Check this in the Settings » About device menu. Also, make sure you’re using an unlocked version of the phone.
- Then, check if your phone’s current firmware has the BTU product code. To do so, download the SamMobile Device Info app from the Google Play Store, open it, swipe to the Firmware tab, then check out the Product Code. The Product Code should have BTU mentioned after the phone’s model number.
- If it’s BTU, download the Galaxy Care app from the Galaxy Apps store on your phone (or grab the APK from this link, transfer it to your phone and install it manually).
- Open Galaxy Care app, agree to the legal terms on the welcome screen and then press Next to head to the main screen of Galaxy Care.
- Now, at the top of the app, swipe around till you get the screen where it says “Participate Galaxy Beta Program.” Here, click the Join button.
- Then, press the Registration button at the bottom. Agree to the license terms after that, and voila, you will be given the option to download the Android 6.0 beta firmware sometime within the next 24 hours if Samsung selects you for the beta!
For Those Not in the UK Or with non-BTU Product Code:Samsung Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge users who have devices with model number SM-G920F/SM-G925F but are not in the UK or have a different firmware can also enrol themselves in the Beta test program if you are so eager to do so. All you need to take care is that you have SM-G920F/SM-G925F model of your device. You cannot install the beta firmware on any other model of either device. Once you are sure you have the correct device, you would need to install the BTU version of the UK firmware for your Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge.
Here’s a link for the Galaxy S6 BTU UK firmware, and a link for the Galaxy S6 edge BTU UK firmware. To install the downloaded firmware on your phone, just follow the instructions given on the download page. Flashing this firmware should not wipe your data (nor void your warranty), but do a backup just to be safe. Once your device has booted into the newly flashed firmware, just follow the guide above from step 3 to get the Android 6.0 software.
Give your feedback of the Beta builds in the comments below. Also ask any query regarding flashing the firmware or any other doubts you might have.